Hi there! You must be looking to upgrade your engineering electronics lab with the latest and greatest test equipment on the market today. Well good news...this is the place to be! Cool engineers only please...meaning all of you.
Full Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links in that we will receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase (with no additional cost to you).
Drones...Drones...Drones... It's almost like everywhere you go these days you can't help but be sucked into "drone chat".
Topics: General Topics
Podcasts have never been more popular. Whether you are commuting, in the gym or just relaxing at home, they’re a fantastic way to stay on top of personal interests as well as developments in your industry. For engineers and project managers working in the RF industry, some of the biggest growth is expected to occur in the field electronic warfare, which is slated to become a nearly $20 billion industry by 2026. To help you gain a sense of where the electronic warfare industry and the defense sector as a whole are headed in the near and long-term, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best podcasts relating to these topics.
Can you hear that?! ...Listen closely. Can you hear it now??
...Those are Christmas bells jingling in the distance because the holiday season is here once again!!!
Software Defined Radios (SDRs) are constantly evolving. It seems like "the latest and greatest" SDRs are always popping up somewhere with today's rapidly growing technology. We thought it'd be helpful to provide you with some of the most popular and top rated SDRs in today's market.
We tried to include a wide variation of prices, applications, frequencies, and ease of use on the following list. This way, it'll be more likely that you'll find the best Software Defined Radio for your needs in the following list.
Without further ado, here are 12 great Software Defined Radios for you!
*Descriptions taken from product pages
**Disclosure: This post that contains affiliate links.
- What a great place to start! This RTL-SDR is cheap and great for beginners or those on a budget.
- Applications include general radio scanning, air traffic control, public safety radio, ADSB, AIS, ACARS, trunked radio, P25 digital voice, POCSAG, weather balloons, APRS, NOAA APT weather satellites, radio astronomy, meteor scatter monitorin, and more
- Frequency: 500 kHz to 1.7 GHz and has up to 3.2 MHz of instantaneous bandwidth
2. Red Pitaya
- Included: NooElec USB dongle, antenna, remote control
- RTL2832U interface IC & R820T tuner IC on USB dongle
- Full compatibility with a large array of software packages
- DRU-244A-1-1-PCI SDR hardware digitizer
- 1 ADC chip with 1 analog input
- 1 DDC chip with 4 radio channels
5. HackRF One
- Operating Frequency: 1 MHz to 6 GHz
- Matching male SMA ANT500 antenna & USB cable included
- Compatible with GNU Radio, SDR#, and more
- 6U Compact-PCI form factor hardware development platform that can be used for a variety of applications, such as Software Defined Radio.
- Optimized to provide high performance signal conversion using high speed ADC’s and DAC’s.
- Other applications: WiMAX, Satellite MODEM's, RFID, Wireless Communication Systems
- 2.4 GHz Transmit and Receive.
- Suitable for Bluetooth experimentation
- Can also operate in monitor mode, monitoring Bluetooth traffic in real-time.
- Frequency: 100KHz-1.7GHz
- Built-in 100Mhz upconverter combined with Built-in HD R820T allow better receiving of short wave than using direct SDR’s Q tunnel
- Easy to set-up, just connect it and you’re ready to go!
- Alternative to both cost sensitive and higher end scanners while featuring the "best radio browsing experience of the market" thanks to the tight integration with the de facto standard SDR# software.
- External GPS or Rubidium clocks supported for professional use
- Full HF Coverage
- Flexible and affordable transceiver that turns a standard PC into a powerful wireless prototyping system.
- Supports multirate DSP for physical layer communications and helps you integrate .m file scripts and C language algorithms.
- Large frequency range of 100 kHz up to 27 GHz and wide instantaneous bandwidth of up to 100 MHz.
- Supports 160 MHz instantaneous bandwidth
- SDR covers the 10 kHz to 30 MHz (VLF-HF) spectrum.
- Demodulation modes: AM, AMN, LSB, USB, CW, CWN, NBFM.
- RF antenna connector: SMA and terminal block.
- GPS receives the Navstar system on L1 frequency 1575.42 MHz.
Are You Experiencing Phase Noise in your Applications?
Full Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission in you click through and make a purchase.
RF and Microwave Design can be ENJOYABLE with these 18 CAD Tools...
Don't believe me? Many of us already know how designing can easily become extremely long, boring, and tedious. This is especially true for all you RF and Microwave Design Engineers!
Spending hours upon hours designing, finding problems, fixing problems, then repeating the process all over again...It all can become so mentally draining.
Am I bringing back bad memories? Sorry, time for the good news...
So how can you make the long and tedious design process easy (and possibly even enjoyable)?
You guessed it... Automation and design tools are key.
Having some great CAD tools on your side can release a significant burden off your back. These tools can save you time and dramatically increase your productivity. Our Top 4 Productivity and collaboration tools will help skyrocket your productivity even further.
Today, we thought we'd help you out by sharing these 18 CAD design tools that can lead to a more simple & enjoyable design session.
**Related Post: Check out our picks for the 5 best laptops for engineers.**
Here at Bliley Technologies, we are always trying to incorporate new tools to increase productivity and collaboration within the company, and ultimately drive innovation that will propel Bliley into the next 85 years.
Here is a list of the top 4 free productivity and colloboration tools that our leadership team uses every day to ensure we're delivering the most value for our customers. (Learn more about our leadership team here.) You too can download them to see an immediate increase in your company's productivity and collaboration!
Wondering what to get those picky engineers in your life for fathers day? Well we've got that figured out for you! Here are 10 great gifts that engineering dads will surly love.